I think I got bit by the crafty bug. I always hated doing crafts when growing up. I remember our Young Women leaders at church would always have all sorts of crafty little projects for us, and I hated it. I'd rather be off chatting about the latest gossip with my friends, instead of painting on wood or sewing wall quilts. I swore up and down I'd never do crafts again, unless I was forced to.
Lately, I've been cheating. I've been wandering the craft and fabric sections in stores. I've been reading various creative bloggers' sites, which are listed on the "sites I stalk" part of my side bar. I've been watching those darn HGTV and TLC home decorating shows that get me motivated. Those influences, combined with the yucky, hot and sticky weather that makes me dread stepping out to get the mail, has led me to this creative bug.
I bought a hot glue gun, because Nester told me I couldn't live without one. I bought acrylic paints and brushes... and wood stuff to paint on! I've even caught myself wandering my house, looking for old junk I could spruce up and make cute with a little bit a crackle and paint. Right now I'm working on a few projects, but these are my most recent I've finished.
Almost a year ago I "temporarily" hung up a couple of old blankets over Hayden's window to block the light. This week I tore down those "temporary" curtains, and mistreated the window with push pins and hot glue. No curtain rod or sewing needed!
Here is a close up of the window mistreatments. The bottom curtains are actually tab-top panels, but I don't like the look of the top for this room, there wasn't enough room for a curtain rod, not to mention, for the last year I've been WAY too busy to even bother with a curtain rod.
The striped valence is just a bit of fabric I picked up at Walmart for a couple dollars. I think it looks soooo much better now!
I needed something to hold the curtains back to let the natural light come in. All the hooks made for this were expensive, big, bulky, and ugly. I found these little wooden stars with hooks in the craft section for $1.50. I painted them brown, then crackled them and top coated with yellow. I think they're cute!
This whole window project cost me about $5.
I picked up this fabric at Hobby Lobby and covered one of my flat pillows. I really like it, but it's a little too bland and matchy. I have some more fabric that doesn't match, but goes well, which I'll make another one or two with.
Hayden is obsessed with the moon, these days. He seems to find the moon or something that looks like the moon, everywhere we go. While in Walmart (I think I mention Walmart at least daily now... wow, I need a different store)... while in Walmart he found some ugly visors that were crescent shaped and got all excited over the moon. We just happened to be near the craft section, where I found a wooden disc and some grey paint. Yes Julie, I spell it "grey" not "gray"... Now Hayden has a moon in his bedroom. Hopefully someday, it will be accompanied by a few stars.
And Just because- here are a couple pics of us, during the 5 minutes when there wasn't tantrums at Marie Calander's the other day...
This blog took me longer to create and post than it took me to do ALL of these projects!
7 comments:
I like the mistreatments, very creative and cute. I was going to say I have the same moon but apparently not. My moon was purchased at Target and lights up--it shows the phases of the moon and can be set to change at the same rate. My principal bought one for each 6th grade class since we study the moon.
I love all your crafty projects. I can't wait until I have a house where I can do more permanent projects like that! Very nice....
Oh my goodness, I miss having a good Walmart. The Walmart by us is sooo dirty! It is gross. I am a Target girl now, which is a little more expensive, but at least they are clean!
I love the pictures at the end...way cute.
Girl! I am impressed with your skillz! :) You are quite the domestic goddess!
Wow i remember those days of YW i hated crafts too. I still refuse to do them but i guess that might change when i get my own house. I hate paying so much for stuff that is so easy to make. Love the curtians. All the curtian's i have had since i moved out have been material shower curtians that i have morphed into regular curtians becuse they are so stinking expensive. and you do have stars to match the moon. The little hooks you made for the curtians.
Good Job Laura! Such cute projects & what a steel on the curtain holders. You wanna help me make some curtains now? He he
First I'd like to say.....BEASTIE BOYS rock! You're craftiness amazes me, I love it. I wish I could only come up with some of those great ideas. YW crafts=ughh!!!
By the way my pregnancy is going well, I think I'm finally getting past the sickness phew. Avery is quite the handful but she is great. I think she's finally getting this baby thing.
Post a Comment