One of the best parts of making this is the smell stays put in my house for days! I woke up multiple times last night to the sweet smell of chili sauce. If I walk outside and come back I am blasted with the smell. It's a wonderful smell. I think I need to figure out how to make a candle out of it or something! Sometimes throughout the year when I use a jar, I'll leave the used jar sealed and sitting on the counter for a while so I can walk by and take a wiff. Mmmmm... yum!
No late summer/early fall is complete in our house without a few of these jars cooling on the counter. The aroma is captivating and will cause delusions and make you week in the knees. The taste is more sweet than hot. It compliments any dish - meats exceptionally well- my favorite being a classic beef/vegi stew. Use the Chili Sauce for at least 1/2 of the broth and you have a scrumptious stew match made in heaven, you won't be able to resist seconds. This is also great topped on steaks, pork chops, chicken, etc, and bbq'd to perfection. It turns yucky meatloaf into a delicacy. ......... Okay, you get my point- here's the recipe!
This is a family favorite, and also a bit of a secret recipe, so "shhhh", don't tell anyone I shared! This is originally from the Kitchen of our dear family friend, Judy Robinson.
Ingredients:
25 medium size tomatoes (cored & peeled – dip in boiling water for a few minutes and the peels should come right off)
4 white onions
3 green peppers
4 red peppers
4 Tbsp salt
4 C sugar
2 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 C apple cider vinegar
1 C white vinegar
1 C water
Directions:
Grind and mix all ingredients, adding vinegars and water last (this is what creates the magic potion smell! It's amazing!) and bring to a boil. Do not cover. Boil 2-4 hrs until thickened- then put in jars. Jars will seal as the hot mixture cools... no need for traditional canning! Just tighten lids and wait to hear them pop!
Makes about 5 Quarts *usually varies- this year mine made about 6.5 quarts. I use pint jars, so ended up needing 13 jars. Be sure to have a few extra jars on hand in case yours makes more!
8 comments:
I remember trying some of this. It was great! Yum.
Well that looks like a tasty BIRTHDAY treat! Happy Birthday!!!
yay!!!! i can't wait.
yummy!
I am so impressed... look at you so demestic and with being preggo too! You are truly amazing! I need to try this recipe it looks so yummy!
ohhh your in trouble Just Kidding.I actually have never done this but I am dieing to do it. and I lost the Recipe so thanks a Million. Oh how many Jars will I need for a single batch?
The recipe says 5 quarts, but it always varies. This year my batch made 6 1/2 quarts. I put it in pint jars because it's better for a small family- so I used 13 pint jars.
I need to be more domestic like you-- such impressive activities! Someday you will have to teach me to can, cook, make cool pillows, etc! I wish you lived closer!
Post a Comment