Pages

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Uncertain Changes

After many months of job searching and many weeks of being down in the dumps and lazy and bored and having literally no inkling of an idea of what is to come for our future, we've finally made a decision. Actually, I think the Lord made the decision for us. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself, because I've given up. Anyway, we've decided it is time for Dirk to go back to school and finish getting his degree!!


He's applied for the University of Montana. He hasn't been accepted yet, though he has heard from them a few times. See, this is where we'll find out if this is actually the Lord telling us what to do, or just me hoping it is. If the UoM doesn't accept Dirk, well, then, I'll try not to laugh (because I'm pretty sure they accept everyone), and then I'll be completely lost and depressed again, and then I'll admit that maybe this isn't the route for us. But we're just assuming they're going to accept him (again- because everyone gets in).


So, he is tentatively starting in August. Which means sometime before August we'll be making the long drive up to Montana and moving in with my parents. We'll stay with them a little while, so I can have a better chance of having a part time job without having to pay for daycare, so we can actually have some income. Hopefully we'll be able to make some headway with paying off debt and if we're really really lucky, maybe we'll even sell our house soon so our future GI BILL housing supplements can go toward paying off more debt. We've been working our butts off trying to get our house market ready. Our goal is to get it listed on the marked on March 1st. That gives me ONE WEEK (yikes!)!!


Anyway, so the hardest part will be living with family and not having our own place. But I get along great with my parents, and they have a big house, so I think it will work out! I'm so incredibly excited for Hayden. He is just going to love it there! No more only having boring mom and dad who don't want to play with him. He'll have the horses and dogs and cats and Grandma and Grandad and uncles and aunts and cousins to play with. The summer time is picture perfect weather so he won't be stuck indoors hiding from the awful South Texas heat and humidity. And there are quite a few little kids his age that we'll be going to church with. I can't wait! (Mostly I can't wait to get him unattached from my hip... he's sooo clingy lately!)

I also can't wait to be closer to family! And most of all having CHANGE OF SEASONS again!! Oh but it gets cold and snowy and yucky... blah blah blah.... I've said it a million times, SUMMER is no longer the joys of SUMMER when you have it for 4 1/2 years strait. When all your friends and family are enjoying the spring showers and flowers, or fall leaves and colors, or playing in the snow... and you're stuck in a world of brown and a little bit of green and lots of humidity and no mountains or lakes or forests or flowers... Okay, that was a long run-on sentence, and I don't know how to end it... but you get my point! I can't wait to finally move back home. Sure we'll be super poor college students living with the parents... but it will ALWAYS be pretty when I look out my bedroom window!

So, send your prayers and good luck vibes our way so we can sell our house soon! And so the UoM will accept Dirk and not make us even more pathetic and miserable than we already are. And that the Army will be willing to pay to move us ALL the way up to Montana and not just half way (as our mileage allowance is only to Phoenix).

p.s... I hate that my blog is formatted to "center" EVERYTHING... I'm working on it!

10 comments:

Callie said...

Seeing all the pictures of MT, made me want to move back! We will continue to pray that everything works out for you all. I love my family, but I couldn't imagine living with them again. I would love to be closer, though. I'm soooo with you on the seasons! I really miss the spring and autumn in MT.

As for Dirk getting into the U of M...yeah, what are you saying they take everyone? Huh? Huh? Are you saying the college I graduated from has low standards? :) Yeah, they took me...he's got to get in! :)

Sally said...

Of course we will be hoping the best for you! But I have to admit I am jealous of you heading back to MT. I miss the real mountains and pine trees every single day. Our plan is to go back to the Missoula area if Josh can find a job there when he is done here so maybe our kiddos can play together someday!

Bethany said...

What a great decision! My friends husband is 33 and was in realestate. Last year, he decided that he wanted to be a doctor, Now he is back in school working on her premeds. He has YEARS left, but there family is excited and knows that, while it is a sacrifice, it is the right thing.

We've lived with family before too. It is managable and sometimes quite awesome.

Good luck!

Shannon said...

What an adventure! Seeing those pictures make me want to go home. I always loved going up your way for basketball games, stake dances, girls camp, etc...it's so beautiful!!!

Kirby and Logan Hoffer said...

ohhhh back to montana! Maybe since you'll be living here I will actually get a chance to see you and meet your family :)

The Crocketts said...

That is wonderful Laura! I'll keep you guys in my prayers. If it's what the Lord wants for you, it'll all work out beautifully! And I am SO jealous that you get to leave TX! PLEASE, TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!! Oh, one day we'll get our escape too.
I'm happy for you to have good things to look forward to. =o)

Rebecca Susan said...

I know it isn't without its significant challenges, but I'm very jealous, nonetheless.

Lisa Loo said...

YEAH MONTANA!!! Hopefully we'll see you soon! (she said in a very non-creepy stalker ways :0)

Samantha Fife said...

I am soooo bad at leaving comments - I am excited for Dirk to be back in school - is that going to be a LONG commute for him? I hope you take a the long way and drive up to I-90, which would put you through Nauvoo - if you went round a bout! Yay for new adventures!!!

Sally F said...

I see those beautiful MT pictures, and I laugh at thinking that Texas people think Texas is so pretty! They have NO IDEA, do they?!

If you've gotten behind on our blog and would like to see more, just click on "older posts" above.^^^^^^^^
Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Total Pageviews