Pages

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Hutch Project

While Dirk is gone for the next few months, I have a lot of projects on my list. I figure if I keep busy it will be easier for me being without a husband for so long. My first project, wasn't really supposed to be my first. I'm supposed to wait until after I have my yard sale, but I just couldn't wait. Now that he's gone, I'll probably be updating this blog daily... maybe even 5-20 times a day... who knows. I've got to keep busy, plus he can check it out all the time, and I'm terrible at telling him details of my day over the phone. I forget things. This blog will be a great way to show him I'm actually being productive while he's gone, instead of laying on the couch, watching cartoons, and eating ice cream (like I do when he's home).

I'm going to paint my hutch. I'm so super excited for this. It looks nice now, but it doesn't really match any of our other furniture or our kitchen. I've been wanting to do this project since I bought it, a year ago, but really, my house needed to be finished first - which it still isn't!




I bought my hutch/secretary off craigslist. It is a 1940 Ethan Allen solid oak hutch with a secretary fold down. I think it's fabulous and I got a great deal on it. I'm going to paint it a very dark brown almost black... it may even be black. The color I've picked for it is called 'caviar'! I want the back panel to be a lighter color so my display will look nice, and to give it a little more depth and character, so I'm going to pain that a color called 'basket beige'. I'm really excited to see that transformation. My absolute favorite part of my hutch are the drawer pulls and knobs. They're solid brass. Aren't they amazing?

Last night I started sanding the sides. I figure if I make it look all gross, I'll be more inclined to actually work on it and not ignore it. Today I took the hinged secretary door off, as well as the hardware. I also sanded it a lot more while Hayden was napping. This will be fun. I'm painting my hutch, while really, I should be doing something more necessary, like finishing my exterior house paint job (that's been waiting for me since last summer).

2 comments:

Callie said...

When David and I were doing the long distance thing, we talked on the phone once a week (which was actually a lot for my poor hubby who I'm sure you remember isn't much of a talker). At any rate, he's really hard to talk to on the phone...so I would make lists of all the things I wanted to tell him. I too forget to tell him about things. I'm such a list person! :)

Rebecca Susan said...

I'm glad you have projects to keep you busy. This hutch is beautiful--I'm a little jealous. But craigslist is the best. I'm a bit of an addict!

If you've gotten behind on our blog and would like to see more, just click on "older posts" above.^^^^^^^^
Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Total Pageviews