Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Lots of Silhouettes

Well it's been a while... I just took the longest blogging break since the year began. My life was just overflowing with business and some unfortunate events led to stress, and all that business and stress led to exhaustion, so as a result, my blog got neglegted.

I've been working with the Young Women in my church (12-18yr olds) for the last two years as their secretary, though "secretary" is the official term, because I'm the only one who is proficient in computer use, and has a crafty/creative gene, they've deemed me the "secretary/creative director" It's a lot of fun, but it definitely keeps me busy. On an easy average week I spend an average of 7 hours working with the Young Women or working on things behind the scenes. On a busy (just before a big event) week, I spend more like 4-5 hours per day on things.

This is what I did this week. It doesn't look like much, and while the silhouettes themselves were fairly easy and not very time consuming to make, getting the pictures of all the girls last minute, for a second time, because I'd lost the first set of them, when not all the girls were easy to get ahold of.... let's just say it was a little bit stressful and time consuming!!
 
I taught the girls how to make these tissue paper pouf balls that are hanging from the ceiling... 
Each girl chose a word that was going to be their own personal "motto" for the year.
  It is something they chose to work on continually. They all got to bring these silhouettes home to display and act as a constant reminder for them. 

 

I did the floral arrangements. I made the "We Believe" blocks. I made the YW torch silhouette.

I also helped the girls make the invitations for the night. I made the program, and another handout with all the big activities for the year listed so they can put it on their fridge.

Overall, I think everything turned out pretty nice, and I am so glad it's over. Usually when we do big events for the girls, we do it all ourselves. This time we really tried to involve the girls. This was very challenging for me, as it's easier and less time consuming for me to just do things myself!

Now I'm off to create their March calender, plan the monthly bulletin board, and add up all the receipts to turn in for our budget. 

2 comments:

Allison said...

Holy Smokes Laura! This looks AMAZING! You really outdid yourself! I think you need to teach me how to make a silhouette...that would be such a neat project!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to know how you made the girl's silhouettes as well!

If you've gotten behind on our blog and would like to see more, just click on "older posts" above.^^^^^^^^
Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Total Pageviews