Hot. Exhausting. Hot. Busy. Hot. Lots of Work. Hot. Humid. MONEY!!
I decided to be brave and have a yard sale. I'd never done one before.
For the last 5 months or more, I've been scouring my house for unused items. I had to mentally prepare myself that it IS okay to get rid of things, especially if you don't use them. Cleaning out my closet was especially hard. I have a BIG closet, FULL of clothes... but I don't wear most of them. Some of those clothes have been traveling with me and sitting in my closets since JUNIOR HIGH!! After I went through a self therapy session and made myself go through every item in my closet, it was still full. A couple months later I did it again and got twice as much junk. I still feel guilty, even as I'm writing this. Getting rid of clothes in perfectly good condition?? Some of them even still fit me! Some of them might possibly hopefully fit me some day. How could I be so greedy and get rid of good clothes when others have so little?? A-HA! I'll just advertise all over the ghetto areas... oh wait... that's where I live.... and make sure those well deserved, needing people come and get my clothes for cheap. Then I'm doing CHARITY, right?!
I was really REALLY nervous! I was as nervous as the night before a big test in college. All I really wanted to do was get rid of my old entertainment center which was taking up a quarter of my garage. Woohoo!! I sold it within the first hour!! Thank goodness I don't have to deal with that anymore.
The sale went great. Friday I spent my entire day in a 100+ degree garage preparing. We stayed up late pricing. I set my alarm on my phone for early... early enough to get mostly set up before Kelsey even came over. I woke up to Kelsey calling me. "WHERE ARE YOU??"" ...........ummm..... crap? Apparently I still haven't figured out how to use my cell phone alarm, because it started going off half way into the sale, around 9 am. (Isn't it sad that I need an alarm to wake up by 9am?) We had 30 minutes to pull out a mountain of junk out of my garage, set up tables, eat breakfast, brush teeth ... oh wait... gum was faster.... yeah... you get the point. I was stressed, worried, hot, and TIRED! It was already 135,756 degrees outside at 7am... By 7:30 I had to go change my top because I was drenched. DRENCHED! I don't sweat, normally!! It was gross. Truly gross.
The rest of the day went great. It was HOT! Why oh why did we have the sale so late into the summer? Oh wait. It's not summer yet! It's still hot. And humid. And sticky. Gross. But I made money! And I got rid of a TON of stuff!! Friday morning I couldn't even walk through my garage. Now it looks barren and HUGE!
And the grand total..... $500 something something... but MY GRAND TOTAL...... $460!! Four hundred and sixty DOLLARS! Just for working my butt off, sweating off a few pounds, and cleaning out my garage. Lovely. It was way more than I expected. I'm excited. Now.... whatever should I do with the money??.....
This is the tiny pile of junk I didn't sell. Quite a huge difference, considering I couldn't even walk through my garage before the sale.
Didn't I promise you the best picture of me, ever? I think me, being in this picture, makes Kelsey look about 100 times hotter than she already was.
I think we were a bit loopy from all the sun and Wendy's.

4 comments:
Way to go Laura! I am so impressed!
Good for you! I could have sent you a whole bag of clothes to add to your sale. I went through all of my clothes at the beginning of winter and they've been sitting in a sack at the end of my bed since then. i only live two blocks away from DI. The good news is, the longer the sack sits there, the more stuff I put in it, I've been really good at not taking anything out.
Yeah we're done!
Wow, that's great. I went on a major purging expedition when I was pregnant! I got rid of so much stuff. I wanted to go through my closet, but figured it was wise to wait until after I had Kaden 'cause even if I didn't believe it at the time, I would get back into a few of the clothes at least! :)
Post a Comment