A couple weeks ago I made cookies. While piling the freshly baked cookies on to my single cooling rack, I very briefly commented to Dirk how much I really should just break down and buy myself one of the stacking cooling racks so I'd have enough room. The problem is, I never think about wanting one until I'm in the process of making cookies, and had yet to ever put it on my shopping list. Keep in mind this was a VERY brief comment in passing in the middle of another conversation. I'm not even sure that Dirk ever comment on it more than just his, "uh huh" he gives me to acknowledge he heard me talking but isn't actually listening to what I'm saying.
Fast Forward about a week and and a half and Dirk asks me for $20 from the budget and lets me know he's going to the mall. I just assume he's going to Gamestop like he always does and I didn't seem to notice he and Hayden were gone an extra long time (Ginny and I were napping). He ended up not finding what he was looking for so he had to order it from online and told me not to peek, so I didn't. My Valentine's gift came and he wrapped it up while I was out running errands. He had me open it Friday (the day we celebrated), and I was seriously surprised and excited.
He thought it was a dumb "we're boring and married" gift. I had to let him know how amazingly perfect and romantic it actually was. It was romantic because he listened to something I said in passing. I didn't have to force him to listen to me or hint over and over that I wanted this, and best of all I didn't have to buy it myself and tell him it was his gift to me! He just simply listened, heard, and followed through. To me that is so much more romantic than some piece of jewelry or chocolates or something!
Tonight I whipped out my Valentine's gift and made some super yummy oatmeal cookies :)
2 comments:
Oh how I LOVE it when they listen! It truly is the best gift ever when it is something small that you just mentioned once and they remembered! Way to go, Dirk!
Very awesome. My husband is totally clueless about things like this and never listens closely enough to get me anything I'd even want. Last year he bought me running shoes two sizes two small. This was much better than usual because I did actually need running shoes but you'd think after knowing me (with the same size shoe) for 20 years one of these years he'd remember...or at least look at my existing shoes before buying some. (He also bought be shoes the wrong size two years prior.)
Post a Comment