This textbook appears to have belonged to Mary Louise Kellerman...
...and at another time once belonged to Bernice Smith
The book is a book of required school readings. It was printed in 1924.
The contents reveal fun classic titles such as, "Robinson Crusoe", "Gulliver's Travels", or "Robin Hood". It also includes the words to the "Start Spangled Banner". It's really interesting to see what school children studied from decades ago.
The book has a few pictures like this one from "Robin Hood".
Inside the book I also found some hidden treasures like this list of school books needed with their prices. Five books added up to $2.01
There were a couple very tiny pieces of thin paper with a quiz on them. I'm not sure why they are so tiny or why they were such thin paper... I think maybe there was a carbon copy behind them? Did they have carbon copies back then? I'm not sure- I'll have to google that!
The best treasure of all, which completely won me over on buying this book, was the very first page. I love old books, but I love this page more, so I might have to very carefully take it out and frame it...We'll see if I'm brave enough to do that...
2 comments:
That really is a treasure! WHat year was it published?
interesting that the pledge of allegiance didn't mention the "Under God" line... would that mean that "Under God" was added later, or that this book was a predecessor to today's atheist movements to remove that line. Hmmm.... Either way- totally cool find!
Post a Comment