Pages

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Hike to the Falls

Yesterday I got this crazy idea that it might be fun to join my brother for a hike up to Elizabeth Falls in the Mission Mountains. I've done this hike many times before... way back in the day when I was in much better shape. I really didn't have any faith in myself to be able to make it this time. We were ready to call the life flight crew in advance! Somehow I made it up. I almost died quite a few times, but thankfully my hiking buddies were very patient with me! I went up with Dirk and my sister Erin and her husband Lars, and my brothers Nick and Donovan.

We didn't actually make it all the way to Elizabeth Falls. There is a part of the trail, right at the top, where you have to walk across what is normally a small trickle of water. Yesterday that small trickle was quite a bit larger... so large, it made it's own waterfall, that would have been just plain stupid to try and cross. The water in this "little trickle" was just as cold and fresh as we'd hoped... I love fresh mountain water! So after all that hard effort, I didn't even get to see Elizabeth. It was a good hike though, and I'm glad I pushed myself.

After we got home, we heard from my brother-in-law, who'd been up at the trail head to where we hiked, that there were a few grizzly bears up there. There were Fish and Wildlife people up there with shot guns, telling people to get out of the area, because two adult grizzlies and some cubs were in the area and had been charging people's vehicles!! Thank goodness we were making plenty of noise while hiking to scare them away!

Dirk and Lars

Erin and a waterfall

Me, drinking from the waterfall!

Aaaahhh! Refreshing!!

Donovan and Nick

7 comments:

Mandie said...

Oh, man all of these Montana updates and photos are making me so homesick. I want to be drinking out of that waterfall so bad.YUMMMMMM fresh mountain water!!!! I'm glad you are having fun and that your hubby and son are getting to enjoy it with you.

Hamlie said...

You know, that is not the first picture taken of you trying to drink from a rock.

Kirby and Logan Hoffer said...

ahhh....I'm so jealous of you, I haven't hiked the falls in quite some time and am itching to go up.....maybe in a few weeks! Looks like you had fun!

Montana Brandts said...

Wow! I am impressed by your hiking skills of Magic! My husband wants me to hike Mt. Timpanogous with him next month, but I am ducking out of that one! I know I won't be able to make that hike! I want to move back to Montana so bad, seeing all these pictures is making me homesick and jealous! I'm glad you are having such a good time though! And, I am glad you didn't get confronted by the Grizzly Bears!

Allison said...

I am glad that I am not the only one who huffs and puffs up the mountains! Way to not turn back!

Rebecca Susan said...

I'm so impressed. I swear if I tried to hike to Elizabeth Falls right now I'd probably end up just sitting down on the trail and crying! lol I'd love to get up there, though. Its been a while. We hiked on the trail for about 15 minutes, but that's all, since most of our hikers were between the ages of 8 months and 10 years.

Amelia said...

I was just up that way last weekend staring at the falls.. and wondering if I could make it up.. prolly not considering I am getting pretty big..

If you've gotten behind on our blog and would like to see more, just click on "older posts" above.^^^^^^^^
Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Total Pageviews