Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tractors and Big Boy Beds

"Tapors, Tapors, Tapors, Tapors!"

Hayden is OBSESSED with tractors these days. It's all because of Andadad's tractors up in MT. He learned all about tractors while visiting my family, and he has brought his new obsession home.

Lately, my house has been littered with these:


Somehow I knew this little boy would LOVE tractors some day. Maybe because my younger brothers all went through their phase and would beg for tractor blankies? While I was pregnant with Hayden I found this cute John Deere fabric and started making a quilt for my future little boy. I nearly had it finished, but got frustrated, threw it in a bag, and stuffed it in the closet. I've looked at it a couple times since then, trying to muster up the courage to finish it. I made an agreement with myself, that if someday Hayden began to love tractors, then I'd pull it out and finish it. Otherwise, it was just fine, there in the closet.

Well, I finished the quilt this week! And just in time for Hayden to move to a big boy bed and use his new bedding. I also made a pillow case with the scraps, and will be making a manly bed skirt to hide the scary stuff under the bed.



I took the front of his crib off this weekend, just to see how Hayden would do. We were betting on 5 minutes before he was banging on the door, trying to escape. We were wrong. He slept all night long. I even had to go wake him up in the morning so we could get to church on time. I was worried about nap times, where it's lighter in the room. Still just as easy. He's had no transition problems to the big boy bed, at all!

I picked up a toddler bed at a thrift store for $6 yesterday! I've just finished painting it, and am waiting for Hayden to wake from his nap, so I can switch out his crib and put the bed in! I'm in the process of changing his room from a nursery/baby room, to a big boy room. I'll post pictures of the new bed and the final project when I'm all done.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a fantastic job with the quilt! Way to go, Laura! I can tell Hayden loves his tractor blankie. Glad he loves tractors, too. What a guy -- we still miss you all terribly! Love you!

Kelsey said...

I can't wait to see the new bed done! You're so ambitious getting it done the same day! So I guess you found someone to cut the wood for the slats? About the rocker- It's so small I think you'd feel like you were sitting on a baby chair because I surprisingly feel like I'm almost too big for it. I think the cushions add to that. I'll keep in mind that you'd like one though and call you if I see one!

Kelsey said...

Oh and now you need to change Hayden's birthday tracker to #3!

Rebecca Susan said...

I love the quilt! That is just too cute. There are worse things to be obsessed with than tractors. :)

Sally said...

$6.00!?! That is amazing. I can't wait to see the finished product. I am getting excited for Annabelle to have a big girl bed, but I am worried about the adjustment. I just don't want her running into my bedroom at 2:00 a.m. I hope her transition goes as well as Hayden's!

Hamlie said...

Good job on the quilt! I was wondering if the tapor excitement would urge you to finish it or not. I just bought some material today to work on a quilt for an old roommate of mine getting married at the end of August. I'm really excited about it! I think Mom is kind of sad though because I'll be doing it all on my own rather than waiting to go home in a couple of weeks. I'll post pictures when it is all done.

Kirby and Logan Hoffer said...

nice quilt laura! I started a quilt for kieona when she I was preggers with her, got frustrated, and put it in a box for "later" well later never came....4 years later =) maybe I'll have it done for her kids, but I'm glad the transition to the big boy bed went so easy! we are going to have to move zaiden to a big boy bed soon before baby gets here....I doubt he will last 2 minutes much less the whole night

Kim -today's creative blog said...

thanks for stopping by. I guess my threats worked!

I potty trained my son with tractors......he got a new little tractor every time he used the potty....he would go running down the hallway towards the bathroom..."I need another tractor"

If you've gotten behind on our blog and would like to see more, just click on "older posts" above.^^^^^^^^
Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Total Pageviews