Well folks, our kitchen is done...almost (I suppose there always will be an "almost" in there with anything dealing with our house). We absolutely love it. It looks a million times better, which means, I might actually make an effort to keep it clean!
We saved quite a bit of money on the countertops, by opting to tear out the old ones ourselves (no big deal), and do all the plumbing ourselves (this I was a little more afraid of). It ended up being completely worth it, doing some on our own. Dirk and I spent most of yesterday evening installing the plumbing stuff.
I'm really proud of myself with what I did. I wired the brand new garbage disposal and installed it. I installed both the drains. And I hooked up all the pipes underneath the sink! I am so glad we got a new garbage disposal. I think we spent the same amount of money on products with our old one- trying to get rid of the nasty smells- as our new one cost. No more dead rat smell for us! (Okay, it wasn't that bad.... more like 30 yrs of rotting food).
Dirk hooked up our shiny new faucet that has a hose & sprayer combo that pulls out (LOVE it). He also installed the new sink. I know it doesn't sound like Dirk did as much, but just to give him credit- the sink placement was the hardest part, by far. I thought I'd give him a break and tried to install one of the little clamps underneath, and I couldn't even get one finished before I got mad and quit. So YAY for my hubby- he's probably going to have a terribly painful back for the next few days..... we now know why plumbers charge so much!
We got bottom-of-the-line everything. We can't put too much money into this house, because of the neighborhood we're in, so we went cheap- but we still think it looks great! Our cabinets were just refaced, so all the old cabinets are still there (they're solid wood though, so still great), but there are just new laminated cabinet doors on. We painted the insides of the cabinets to have it match. The countertops are also laminate. And of course the cheapest sink, faucet, and garbage disposal I could find, while still making it look nice.
After two weeks without having a complete kitchen, and not being able to find simple things like tupperware, a butter knife, or a clean cup, we are soooo excited to have everything back to it's usual spot..... Up next- the Front Lawn!!!
Here's a before picture from the old owners- just for comparison...
4 comments:
It looks great Laura! Yay new kitchen! I can't wait to see it in person.
Wow! I am impressed...you definitely are a MT girl! :) The kitchen looks incredible! You definitely just increased your resale value. :)
Wow, I am really impressed! You guys did an awesome job! It looks really good! Us Montana women really know how to get things done! I am always putting stuff together and doing handy work! Zack does a lot too, but when it comes to installing things or putting them together thats all me! Well, it looks awesome, congradulations on a job very well done!
SO much better!!! No more high school home ec room kitchen! Yay! Nice work. It can be a pain in the butt to be a homeowner when you're right in the middle of things, but its also a lot of fun once its done.
Post a Comment