Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2008

"Up!.... Mom!..... Beach!"

Hayden loved the beach. He loved the birds, the sand, the water, and finding treasures hidden in the seaweed. Our first day there, we went for a walk down to the water while we were waiting to check into our room. We weren't sure if Hayden would like it or not. Last summer we went to Santa Monica beach, and he was pretty scared - but he was younger, and there were LOTS of people there, which makes him nervous. As we walked toward the water, Hayden refused to hold my hand, and just ran right in. He just wanted to walk farther and farther into the deep water. It was up to his chest before he decided it was time to turn around and yell, "Daddy!" and go running back to Dirk. Then he did it again, and again. Each time going as far out as he could. We did this for about an hour.



I taught him the word, "beach" before we went. When we got there, I saw it click in his mind. He seemed to know exactly what the word meant. He picked up "swimming" on his own. For the next 4 days, everytime we were in the room or in the car, he would beg, "beach! beach! swimming!" Our first night was almost impossible to get him to sleep. Probably a combination of not being in his own bed, and all the excitement. He finally fell asleep, but woke up as the first tiny bits of sunlight were streaming in the window. His pack n' play was next to my side of the bed. I heard him waking so I opened my eyes. He saw me, stood up and yelled in a very commanding voice, "Up! Mom! Beach!" I couldn't help but laugh. So we got up, ate some breakfast, and went for an early morning walk down to the water to watch the sun rise.











3 comments:

Montana Brandts said...

I am now offically jealous! I want to go to the BEACH! That would be so fun! Zack and I were just dicussing a few days ago how Kailey had never been to the Beach, and then we decided that we should go on a Disney Cruise so that she could go to a lot of beaches! Wouldn't that be fun?

And, thak you for your vote of cofidence in my diaper bag fiasco! A small diaper bag is a genius idea! Where did you get yours and what does it look like? I must find out details! You are awesome!

Kelsey said...

How cute I'm glad you tell Hayden's view of your trip. Sounds like he really enjoyed it. We'll have to join you guys sometime if it would ever work out.

Jason and Kristin Williams said...

Laura! That looks like so much fun, and it was so good to hear from you! You look great! And your little boy is soo cute! How are you liking Texas? I had no idea that you were down there. My sister just moved there but she is up north in Lubbock. Anyway, I love your blog - aren't they so much fun. Thanks for "stumbling" across mine, it was fun to see yours - I get updated so much quicker this way on what's going on. Anyway, I'm writing a book now but good to hear from you! :)

If you've gotten behind on our blog and would like to see more, just click on "older posts" above.^^^^^^^^
Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Total Pageviews