Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Starting to feel a little settled in...

Sorry for the break in updates. We've been pretty busy here since Hayden started school!

I've been doing pretty great on my goals to get up early and help get Hayden to school. I've gone from getting up at 9-10am to getting up at 6:30am!  I found a great idea online to make pancake mix and put it in a squeezable bottle in the fridge for the week so in the mornings it is so quick and easy to get a good meal prepared to fill Hayden's tummy! I also put together a morning routine chart for Hayden to follow. It hangs right above his backpack and his outfit for the day which we pick out each night. He thinks it's pretty fun to follow and likes taking control of his morning. One morning we had him skip the step of taking a shower and the rest of the morning was horrible because he then thought he could skip every step! So no more skipping steps for us. This boy likes structure! Then we walk the mile up and down hills to the school. He loves walking to school and I actually really like having a reason to push myself to get outside and exercise more. I try and speed walk/jog on the way home and then again when I go back to pick him up. 4 miles a day is a good way for me to get back in to shape. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to jog/run the whole way.

So besides getting in to the kindergarten routine, Dirk and I have both spent some time at the church pear orchard picking pears. It's a lot of work, and it has been darn hot, but it is so much fun and rewarding. These pears are distributed by the LDS church to hungry people all over the world. The orchard is HUGE and this year was a very demanding year for workers. We had a much larger than record crop and a much shorter time to get them all picked. Because we live a couple miles from the orchard, our ward was really asked to help out a lot to make up for the other people who lived much farther away who couldn't easily get here. Last week when I was finished picking, I took advantage of the fallen pears on the ground, which we can not gather, as they are no longer FDA approved. I brought home a couple large bags full with the intention of teaching myself to can!  Yesterday I canned pear butter and pear sauce. It was a LOT of work for so few cans, but I still enjoyed it. I still have quite a few more pears to take care of, so I think I'll be doing some more canning tomorrow.

We've also been having a lot of fun making new friends and spending time with old friends. Our friend Mikey (from BYU) came down to Medford from Portland for work and was able to spend the afternoon with us. It was really fun to see him... Hopefully next time he'll get to bring his wife and little boy with him too and stay longer! We've also had quite a few play dates going on, a ward camp-out (we didn't sleep over, but spent the evening),  and Dirk got to go shooting with the guys from church.

In between ALL that... I've been busy on my projects, trying to make our house more of a home. I've done lots of painting and have got some woodworking practice in and have so many projects I want to do, but I need more tools! I really really want a saw for my birthday. If I just had a good saw- like a table saw, I think I could really whip out a lot of projects, really fast! So for my birthday I'm asking for a lot of girly things and a table saw. Now... If only we had a job.

Oh- and that's the last thing... We're still waiting to hear on a job for Dirk. He's done lots of follow-ups and it sounds very promising, but they STILL haven't made a decision... It's driving me nuts! Wish us luck- Dirk has yet another meeting with them tomorrow!


No comments:

If you've gotten behind on our blog and would like to see more, just click on "older posts" above.^^^^^^^^
Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Total Pageviews