Pages

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

The Seventh of April

I think April 7th will always be a date that sticks in the back of my mind as a significant date.

Two years ago, April 2008 was the last month of our "good life" as we've been seeing it. For two years we've had trial after trial after trial.

A year ago was the due date of our miscarried baby. An entire year has passed by since we left our home in San Antonio behind to start on a new and unknown chapter in our lives.

It was a strange and sad morning as we drove out of the still dark city. My mind wondered if this unexpected change in our lives was the reason I was not able to carry that baby? If I had been that far pregnant I would not have been able to drive across country to our new lives. For how long had the Lord had this event in store for us? What did he have for our future?

Tears streamed down our faces as we drove off in to the dark. Even though we had an end point, my parents' house in Montana; we felt like we were driving in to the unknown. We didn't know if Dirk was going to be able to go to school, or how we would support ourselves or where we would live, or why we weren't blessed with a new baby. We didn't know if our house that had been on the market for over a month would ever sell, and for how long we would continue to have to pay a mortgage on a place we didn't live in.

It was a very difficult point in our lives. We had very little hope and faith left that things would turn for the better. We'd been dragged down for so long we didn't know if it could get any worse.
We learned that yes, indeed it could. This last year has definitely been a huge trial for us. We are grateful things are starting to look up in so many ways. We held on to that tiny little thread of hope and faith we knew we should have. We prayed and pleaded with the Lord on many occasions. Often times we thought he'd abandoned us or let us down. We now know he was only making us stronger.

I am so grateful for the trials the last 2 years has brought to us. They have only made us stronger in so many ways. I think the most significant strength we've gained is great reliance upon the Lord. And for that I am thankful.

We now have a beautiful baby girl. After a year of chaos, Hayden is just now starting to feel a little settled (but is still struggling with it). Dirk is well into his schooling and has finally found a wonderful job that he loves. We are getting our debt paid off and are finally feeling like we can enjoy our lives again.

6 comments:

Allison said...

Isn't it amazing how things start to work out when you have just a little bit of faith? These last few years have been really good at teaching me how the Lord's plan in ALWAYS better than my plans. I am glad this April allows you some peace and closure!

Jamie said...

Ditto to Alli. It's amazing what the Lord is doing for us even when we're filled with doubt and fear. He's always there and always blessing us. I have a testimony of it too.

Sarah said...

its all works out in the end :) I like your rainbow to by the way. Does that mean that you've reached the end of it and have found you're pot of gold? (symbolically of course).

Love you

Pam said...

I am glad you can look at in in this light. That things happened for a reason, and that you are now where you should be, and it will be okay (if it isn't okay already).

And just so ya know- your blog totally made me realize that for the first time ever I actually missed the date of my fathers death. He died 12 years ago Monday (the 6th) and I didn't even realize it until right now!

:) Glad you are doing well. KEep up the wonderful posts full of cute kids and the likes...

Anonymous said...

Good to know that I am not the only one who thinks of days like that.

My sister had her new kid around that time I was supposed to have one. All I could think of was "woe is me". Awful, I know. There is a reason, I am sure... apparently I am not learning what I need to learn fast enough. =)

Thanks for the positive spirit and hope today. I appreciate it-- and can't wait to see you guys in a couple of weeks~

The Cooking Schaack said...

Laura you are such a strength to me !!! I know we all can relate. I am learning I have to keep finding JOY IN THE JOURNEY . Things always work out. Sometimes our dreams just have to be put on hold for a little while. Thanks for all your wonderful posts. They make me smile, laugh and cry. YOu are such a wonderful mommy :}

If you've gotten behind on our blog and would like to see more, just click on "older posts" above.^^^^^^^^
Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Total Pageviews