Pages

Monday, October 05, 2009

Random 3am Thoughts

Laying in bed at almost 3 am, and I can't sleep because my ankle itches. Then my mind starts to wander and I realize one of the girls I used to teach in church while she was in high school has been married for about a year now and how close in age we are, yet how far apart it seemed to her. I remember feeling like being a 26 yr old was so far off for me! I start thinking, in the last 6 years, since I was 20, I've done a whole lot and not so much at the same time. It seems like an eternity.

In 6 years:
I've gotten married and been married for 5.5 yrs.
I've moved almost 6 times to 3 different states.
I've purchased a bran-new vehicle and payed it off.
I've bought, refurbished and sold a house.
I've had almost 2 children.
I've served 2 callings as a leader to our church Young Women, 1 calling as the ward Young Women Camp Director, and 1 Stake Young Women Presidency calling.
I've been an Army wife and a student's wife.
I've started my own business.
I've gained 20lbs (okay, so that's not counting my pregnancy weight!)
I've made countless friends in many places.
I'm running out of things to think of....

See that's what happens when you can't sleep at 3am.

Okay- so next thing on my mind... I was thinking about the movie "Whip It". We were telling Hayden's babysitters about it, and I was asked why I like Drew Barrymore so much. I wasn't quite sure, I know I've just always liked her. Then I realized tonight, I started liking her, because my sister Erin told me years ago (like when I was in 6th grade) that she liked her, and Erin's always kind of reminded me of her. Then I realized, I've liked a lot of things over the years because Erin's liked it. I started to notice a pattern. Everything from fashion to music, to movies, to home decor... even now, I tend to think what Erin likes is cool, so I want to like it. I have 4 older sisters- all are very cool and unique in their own ways, but for some reason, I suppose I've always admired Erin's opinions on things... I'm not just like her, in fact we're very different in many ways- but I did notice I tend to lean towards trends or likes after she's told me about them.... And it's only taken me about 15 years to realize this.

I started thinking about when Erin and I went on a trip to NYC right at the beginning of when I started to date (makeout with) Dirk. While in NYC Erin convinced me to buy this gorgeous, red, Dulce & Gabbana skirt suit. It was hot. I mean super hot. Looked great with fishnets and heals. Then it didn't fit anymore and I lent it to another sister, then it disappeared somewhere along the way. It will never fit me again, but it might fit Erin now. 5 years later, and I realized I want it back. Because, really- who gets a brand-new Dulce & Gabbana suit, originally over $2thousand for only $200 and doesn't keep it in their possession for all time and beg to be buried in it?
I realized at this point in my train of thoughts, there was NO way I was getting back to sleep until I wrote this all down.

There you have it- a look into my insomniac mind at 3 am. Did I mention I ran out of Ambien today? Maybe I should pick some up!

There's your test Erin- just to see if you ever read my blog!

Great. Now I'm hungry.

3 comments:

Sarah Bird said...

i've noticed the "erin following " too, and not by you but me. i've decided it's because erin is the "classy sister" no matter what she seems to wear, listen to, etc. she's always a step ahead of everyone else. she doesn't seem to fall into the forever embarrassing looks and always looks so polished, and well classy. There, I guess we'll know if she not only reads your blog, but your comments as well :)

Kelsey said...

I do the same thing with my sister only I'm not very good at it. She dresses way more stylish than I do. If only I could learn from my "model". I love your train of thought it's hillarious. Now I know that atleast I'm not the only one who thinks like that. Joe sometimes gets confused when I go off on tipits like that- opening my mouth is a mistake when I'm thinking like that.

Erin said...

sorry I'm a jerk and don't always read your blog I'm Ashamed :(
Megan has been talking about this particular post and finally she and Lars hunted it down and made me read it. Awkward- Megan and I were just discussing how you are like how we wish we could be- all crafty and makin' stuff all the time - buying houses and remodeling them - some day we too will be real people like you. ;)

If you've gotten behind on our blog and would like to see more, just click on "older posts" above.^^^^^^^^
Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Total Pageviews