Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays. It's right at the beginning of the Christmas season but right at the end of the autumn season, so it has all the greatness of both! It's filled with family and friends and lots and lots of good food, without all the hubub (is that a word?) of presents.

Since living away from my family, I normally like to host the big Turkey Day dinner at our house. I go all out, making all my family's traditional recipes, invite friends, play games, the works. This year has been so stressful and busy for us, I decided long ago, to cancel the invitations we'd already given, and proclaim we're not hosting dinner this year. I'm soooo glad I did that. Many people have suggested to still do dinner, just don't go "all out". NOT POSSIBLE for me. Hello- that's what I do when I actually cook normal dinner... what's the point of calling it "Thanksgiving" if it's just the same as every other night??

Anyway, we're going over to a friend's house, and I'm excited to taste some new recipes and get a break, though I'm starting to feel a longing and desire for my family's cranberry salad and frog eye salad... there's always next year.

So, I suppose as is tradition, here are a few things that I'm thankful for this year.

~Dirk and Hayden and all the wonderful memories we've created together this year
~My mom and dad and all the love and support they have for me and my family
~A consistent job and paycheck, with amazing health care coverage
~For Dirk getting to come back home after being gone for 2 months, instead of 6

~Our good home, even though it has some serious issues and I sometimes want to burn it to the ground... and our amazing car, which we have gone another year without having a single problem with.
~Military benefits- thank you free Sea World, free concerts, discount hotels, free tires, free lawyers, free ER visits, free Rx's, free psychiatrist visits, free physical therapist visits, free car registration, etc, etc... all of which we have fully taken advantage of this year and saved probably thousands of dollars.
~Our freedom and safety, and knowledge that even though our government has it's issues, we are so much better off then so much of the rest of the world

~My brother serving and coming home safely from his mission in Mozambique, Africa- it gave me the opportunity to study and explore another culture and lifestyle, which made me so much more grateful for my own comforts.
~Gas prices dropping to $1.61 today!
~My camera. I don't know what I'd do without it. Seriously.
~Good friends who are there to support me when I need it, but know that you don't always have to talk every week in order to stay Good Friends!
~My faith in God and Christ, and the comforts the gospel has brought me through this trying year.
~Knowing that even though it's been a rough year, my family is still safe, healthy, and overall happy.

And to top it off~ Christmas music season! I'm thankful for that. I listen to the Christmas music station on the radio when I'm driving, and I just get this warm fuzzy feeling. I love Christmas music.
Want to build up your collection?? Oprah is offering free downloads, available for the next 48 hours... Click on this link and Get them quick- I'm not sure when the 48 hrs started, and they're good ones!!

1 comment:

Callie said...

Thank you for the tip on the free Christmas music! I too long Christmas music season!!! I am so excited to be celebrating Christmas in my own home this year. Talk about being thankful!

As icky as deployments and other separations from our spouses are, the military does have some amazing benefits! We have saved sooo much money too! Plus, being a military town, almost everywhere gives a 10% military discount! Whoo hoo!

Happy Thanksgiving!

If you've gotten behind on our blog and would like to see more, just click on "older posts" above.^^^^^^^^
Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Total Pageviews