Pages

Thursday, November 20, 2008

21 days

If my counting is right, Dirk only has 21 days of work left in the Army. His contract is over in 3 months, on the 23rd of February, but he has almost 2 months of leave which is mandatory to take at the end. He's also taking over 2 weeks of leave so we can travel to Arizona for Christmas. After we get back, he'll go to work for about 3-4 days, then be done.

Four years ago, we made a decision to have him join the Army as a career move. We said from the start we were only going to give it 4 years, then we'd get out. As the years went by, we toyed with the idea of making the military a career and staying in for the full 20 years until early retirement. It sounded like a great idea. In the last 4 years we've only been apart for a total of about 8 months, including his trainings, most of which, I was able to spend weekends with him. He has not once gone overseas to the middle east. His 2 short deployments were quick and completely safe, and he was allowed to call me daily. The only major event in our lives he missed out on, was our 1 year anniversary, but I got to spend the day before and the day after with him. We really have been blessed. I've had a hard time telling people I'm an Army wife, because I really don't feel like I've had all the trials of other military families you hear about. And for that I am so extremely grateful!

So, what are we doing after the Army, you ask? Well...............hmmmmm..........let's come up with 20 million ideas.............. let's think a little more.........are we sure we want to leave the military..............hmmmmmmmmmm............ yep. That's how the last few months have gone in our house. It's been confusing. It's been stressful. There's been lots of changes with the military, my husband's specific job, with our brigade, with his career field in general. Yes, we definitely are leaving the active duty military now. It's been good to us. It will be hard to leave the comforts of knowing my husband isn't going to be laid off or fired... of having 100% health coverage... of knowing exactly when and how much our paychecks will be... of the excitement of moving...even if it's only to Texas and not Germany as I had hoped... I will miss it.

I'll need a little help from you over the next few months.
Mainly with a job search!! We would love to move. We have a house here in San Antonio, but if we have the opportunity to move to a better job, we'll take it. If we have an opportunity to move to a place where there's more than just summer all year round, by golly, we'll come running! Both our families are in the west, and we'd love to live close to one of them, but in all honesty, a good job is a good job, and a home is a home... so we'll consider all things!

So keep your eyes and ears open for job opportunities. I started listing his skills and training to give you an idea of what he can do, but honestly, it was just too much, so I copy/pasted a bit from his resume. Pretty much any company dealing with technology, computers, engineering, energy, government work, etc. needs people like him for one job or another. They're harder to find out about because his qualifications aren't narrowed down to one specific area, such as looking for an elementary teaching job... he just can't type something in like that and find it. So please, please spread the word around, keep your ears open for people looking to hire! Here's a bit of his qualifications--
  • Department of Defense active security clearance
  • Proficient in conducting investigations of individuals, organizations, installations, and activities to detect, identify, assess, counter, exploit and neutralize threats.
  • Ability to conduct sabotage, espionage, treason, and sedition investigations.
  • Ability to conduct liaisons with foreign agencies and U.S. Law Enforcement agencies.
  • Specialist in Military Enlisted Tactical Operations
  • Specialist in Air/Weapons Specialist
  • Certified small arms gunsmith
  • Technical, computer, and electronic knowledge and experience
  • Fluent in the Samoan language and culture
If you hear of anything, please let us know. Get an email address or website for us. If you'd like a copy of his resume, let me know. If you're reading this blog and don't personally know us... feel free to help us out too if you know of anything! I promise I won't be weirded out!

I'm basically posting this because in 3 months I have NO idea how we're going to pay our mortgage or buy our groceries. I'm a bit of an advanced planner, so cutting it this close is a little freaky to me! Especially when we're leaving the confines of our mother...I mean the military... it's a little scary!

5 comments:

Allison said...

Laura, you might check out the INL... it is an engineering lab in Idaho Falls (closer to your families!!...super cheap housing!). They have artillery teams, national security areas, and tons of variety. I wish I knew a website, but kyle has been applying there like crazy and the benefits are still pretty decent. A plus is that Dirk already has security clearance!

Samantha Fife said...

Hey, not sure if IOWA is where you'd like to be but here is a website of area jobs. It's actually a pretty decent one, and if you can get hired by Cargil, that would be cool. They bought my cousins house for them after they relocated him, as part of a moving deal. They also payed closing costs on their new hosue and flew both parents and all three kids out so they didn't have to drive. They moved from Houston to Minneapolis. They are hiring in Cedar Rapids right now. Anyway, good luck and let me know how it goes!

Kirby and Logan Hoffer said...

if you're possibly looking at movin back to montana check out the MT government job website....Government jobs would be the best and most reliable around here...Good Luck!

Montana Brandts said...

Okay, Zack works for a company called Questar Gas here in Salt Lake!! They have a website that has job postings... you should check it out! It is an awesome company and Zack loves his job!! In Missoula he worked for Missoula County for the Office of Planing and Grants, and it was so stressful for him and me!! But, this job not only offers way better benefits and pay, but it is a very low key unstressful job!! Questar is a Natural Gas Company and it is huge!! So, check it out if you want!! I love Salt Lake, I never thought I would, but I do because it is close to "home" (Montana) and has all the luxgeries of a the city life!! Also, the company is a utility comapany which is nice, they also have a really good retirement and they will pay for any education!! Zack is a drafter for them, but they have several different jobs!! So, you can go to Questar.com and click on careers and see if there is anything you are interested in!! They aslo have companies else where, if you weren't interested in moving to Utah!! Good luck... and I hope everything works out for you!! We'll keep you in our prayers!! Also, if you have any questions about it or anything feel free to e-mail me or call me!!

Rebecca Susan said...

I have to second Logan's comment. . .you should select several areas you'd be interested in living in and then start doing searches for government jobs. They're steady, reliable, and usually there are openings he could qualify for (or have enough experience they'd be quickly willing to train him). I'll keep my eyes and ears open, and we'll keep your family in our prayers. Good luck with the next adventure!

If you've gotten behind on our blog and would like to see more, just click on "older posts" above.^^^^^^^^
Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Total Pageviews