Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Backyard Adventures

We absolutely love having a backyard! I think we've all said this at least every single day since we've been here.  The transition of moving has been difficult on Hayden (to say the least) and as a result we've ALL been stressed the the max non-stop.

I'm a firm believer in creating a relaxing environment in your own home, even if it means spending a little bit of money to make an area feel more calm and relaxed. Yesterday we hung up some outdoor lights on our covered porch and lit up some candles in the new lanterns I found on clearance. Add in our hammock, a clear starry sky, and sleeping kids, and Dirk and I were able to have a little at home mini-date last night. It was nice to just relax with no kids, not tv, no computer.

This week has been the hottest since we've been here, and the kids were able to enjoy a long time playing in the water. They spent most of the day out there splashing and pouring. I've missed that. We haven't been able to have that sort of freedom of play in over two years since we lived in Texas. It was wonderful.

Just a few minutes ago, Dirk and I headed outside to prep the empty raised garden beds for an autumn crop we wanted to sow tomorrow. We thought it would be a simple job of soaking the soil, turning it over, and adding nutrients. Our first attempt at our own garden didn't go as easily as planned. It appears the soil hasn't been touched in years and was extremely packed down. Apparently we need to pick up some larger garden tools, because the hand-held trowel just isn't going to cut it!  Hopefully we can get this all taken care of soon. I was hoping to get in a few different veggies for the fall to test out our gardening skills... kind of a preview of what we hope to be a very large and bountiful garden in the spring!

Here's a picture of Hayden's newest trick!

Not outside- but funny... Hayden has been watching the birds outside and put this glove on his foot before bed, saying he had a bird foot. He slept with it on and continued to wear if for most of the next day.

Ginny's new favorite seat. Always facing away from the house. I'm not quite sure why she likes it so much, because every time I see what she's up to, she moves away. She just seems so content as she rocks herself.



Brand new baby birdies waiting for food. Don't worry- I used my telephoto lens so I didn't upset Mommy or Daddy bird. These babies are LOUD!




No comments:

If you've gotten behind on our blog and would like to see more, just click on "older posts" above.^^^^^^^^
Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Total Pageviews