Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Remember When...

Looking at all the photos in PW's photo contest, made me want to go back and pull out some old favorites. They're nothing special, but the moments and memories make me tear up every time I see these. I thought with Memorial Day weekend coming up, it was fitting to share.

After not seeing each other in over 2 months, at Basic Training graduation


This photo is nothing spectacular to the regular viewer. To me, I love it! These are the "Mormon Boys" during Basic Training. They were lucky enough to go to church with some missionaries (the sister pictured here) who loved breaking all the rules. They'd mail me special things from Dirk that he couldn't normally send, and I'd mail him special items back. They even let him sneak in a few phone calls on their cell phone, instead of going to Sunday School. They always wrote wonderful messages to me. They truly were a blessing to us during this difficult separation!


If we look a little tired here, it's because we were! This was 2 nights before our one year wedding anniversary. It was the day of his Basic Training graduation. He was exhausted. I was running on 2 months of lack of sleep and a long flight and drive. We celebrated our First anniversary in a cheap and crappy motel room in the middle of nowhere, Missouri. It was our best anniversary to date. I remember being so nervous to see him. I'm not sure why. We'd been mailing letters back and forth and it had only been a little over 2 months, but to actually see him, smell him, touch him again made me so nervous! It was like our honeymoon all over again ;)


September 11, 2006 --Freedom March-- San Antonio, TX


Hayden would always get so excited when Daddy would come home. He wouldn't want to leave his side for hours each day. I love this moment I caught of the two of them napping.


Daddy called home from his TDY to talk to Hayden.


Promotion Day! So happy!


I LOVE this photo.


We finally meet again! This photo is bitter-sweet. Dirk came home from GTMO much earlier than he was supposed to (long story, if you're really curious, ask me some day). Hayden and I were in MT, but he had to fly home to TX. We couldn't get our flights changed, so Dirk bought a ticket a flew up to MT to meet us!


I am so happy for the experience we had, serving our country. We were very lucky to not have to deal with any deployments to the middle east, though, I am just now learning how difficult and unsafe his deployments were. I am grateful for the protection we had. I am so proud of all our troops and the dedication and service they give this country.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a great post. The pictures are wonderful and I appreciate you sharing your story. You made me tear up on the ride to work this morning!

Sarah said...

SO SWEET! If I haven't said it before..Thank You Dirk!

Callie said...

I know all too well the feelings and emotions these pictures bring to you because I have many very similar shots that bring me to tears when I look at them. Thank you and your husband for your service to your country...I know first hand just how difficult it was for you! Thank you for sharing.

If you've gotten behind on our blog and would like to see more, just click on "older posts" above.^^^^^^^^
Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Total Pageviews