In October 2005, a few weeks before I found out I was pregnant with Hayden, a friend from church took me out to eat at this little hole-in-the-wall Chinese all-you-can-eat restaurant, called the Golden Phoenix. The food was so good. The conversations were fun, and for the first time in my life (it seems like) I actually had an interesting fortune cookie.
It said, "Exciting changes will soon be coming".
(I wish I had actually kept the fortune for proof, but I did write it down!). Hmmm.... when you get a fortune like that, you can't help but wonder.Well of course I forgot all about wondering. But I didn't forget about the yummy Chinese buffet!
Mid November, Dirk and I found out I was pregnant with our first little baby! It was exciting, and we decided to celebrate by going out to the buffet. The meal was excellent, and made me think of a yummy Vegas buffet.
My fortune cookie (which I did keep, but couldn't get a proper scan, because it's in Hayden's baby book) read:
"You are the guiding star of his existence."
Dirk looks and me and declares, "We're having a boy". I wanted a girl, so of course I tried to blow it off as it being a stupid fortune cookie and might have been talking about Dirk. Needless to say, I kept the fortune safe in my journal, and it is now in Hayden's baby book.
Fast Forward to March/April 2009. We're getting ready to leave San Antonio, and decide to go out to eat with some friends for a farewell dinner. It had been a few years since we'd eaten at the Golden Phoenix, and my friends hadn't been, so we decided to give it a try. They had since changed ownership, and the food now tasted more like a low end strip mall buffet... only not as good. But the company was still plenty fun.
We decided to make a game of opening our fortune cookies (as all mature adults do) and added "in bed" to the end of each of our fortunes.
My cookie said,
"in bed"
Hmmm... interesting... could be hinting at something... not sure.... We all thought it was funny though...
We read Hayden's cookie next (and yes, he also got an "in bed") .
His said,
"in bed".
We all busted up laughing as the whole table declared I was going to get pregnant soon. Seriously. How could my fortunes be any more clear than that?!
I had been wanting to have another baby, and after our last strange fortune experiences with Hayden's birth, I decided to keep the fortunes. About 3 weeks later I got knocked up (you know, since we're talking in a mature fashion and all!)
These fortunes are going into Ginny's baby book. And I will never eat at the Golden Phoenix on San Pedro in San Antonio again. And neither should you if you don't plan on getting knocked up anytime soon!




2 comments:
I don't even remember having that conversation. I swear I have a brain tumor and at that's why I can't remember anything!! Glad you kept the fortunes. It's a fun story to be told.
what an awesome story! Maybe we should eat chinese buffets more often. Maybe then we would have some luck...
Post a Comment