Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sewing to Keep Busy

I'm trying to keep my mind off the finish line, by whipping out some last minute sewing projects for Ginny.

I made these quick and easy flannel swaddling blankets. The two on the left are double layered, and the green on on the right is just a single layer with the edges hemmed (very nice for swaddling in warmer weather... probably won't be using this one for a while!)

I added a bit of fabric to this cloth diaper to turn it in to a cute burp cloth. I plan on making quite a few more of these.

I still hadn't bought a hooded towel, and went out to buy some, and saw that a cheapy thin one, which would never be warm enough to keep a wet newborn warm in my freezing bathroom, cost $5. The nice, plush ones cost at least $12! I decided I could do better, so I bought a super soft, regular towel on clearance for $3. I cut one end off to make it more of a square, and used that end to create triangle hood. I embellished it with some ribbon I already had. I love it so much, and it was so inexpensive, I think I might have to make one or two more of these for Ginny and Hayden.

Last but not least, I made a ring sling! Here Dirk is modeling it, along with the teddy-bear he picked out for Ginny. We're going to condition her so it's her favorite! I had to pick out a fabric that Dirk would be comfortable wearing, but would also look good on me. It also had to be good enough quality to hold the weight and not wear thin where the rings are. I did a lot of research on what kind of fabric would be the best to use, and how to assemble it the best and safest way for my baby. I think picking out the fabric was the hardest part of this project!

There are so many ways and style to hold your baby, and I've been trying to figure out what's best for me. With Hayden we had some sort of front carrier with straps and hooks (similar to a baby bjorn), and it was a pain in the neck to put on and take off, and literally a pain in my neck and shoulders to wear. I'd been eying the wraps that are becoming more and more popular. I wanted one that would look good on me and still be functional. I don't like the kind where you're practically wrapping yourself like a mummy! I still wanted my own outfits to be visible (and breathable!). I've researched, and found that this "ring sling" style is actually really good for people with back pain, even though it's only on one shoulder. Apparently the way you fold it helps disperse the weight of the baby evenly. I guess only time will tell if this is true.

Lots and lots and lots and lots of layers of stitching to make sure my baby is safe and secure!
I originally chose and purchased a fabric that these bronze rings would look good with. Then when it came time to start sewing, I decided I didn't like the fabric enough to wear on a daily basis, and it was a bit to girly for me to ask Dirk to wear! I also did a lot of research on what type of rings to use. I didn't want to just go pick up some regular craft rings, and have them not hold strong enough. There is a sling rings company that is highly recommended all over the internet, by people who make and sell these slings for a living. To my excitement, the set of rings only cost me $4.50 with shipping! With that price, I really could have reordered a different color to go better with this fabric, but I couldn't wait to make it.

I've seen these slings priced anywhere from $50-$100... I made mine for $20.

4 comments:

Callie said...

How fun! I've been meaning to make one for our upcoming baby, but have yet to do so. I have several other projects that have to get done first. I think in the back of my mind, I'm hoping someone will buy/make me one so I don't have to. :) Looks great though!

Candy Washburn said...

Your sewing projects are beautiful. Good luck with the birth!
Love, Aunt Candy

Carol said...

WOW you really are amazing. Nice work. Very Impressive. Hope she comes soon. Love you

Kelsey said...

Love that you made the sling! I bought one last year on ebay, slightly different though. So what kind of fabric is it?

If you've gotten behind on our blog and would like to see more, just click on "older posts" above.^^^^^^^^
Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Total Pageviews